Harlem Lacrosse and Leadership is seeking a full-time Executive Director (ED) to advance its mission to build leadership skills and social responsibility through lacrosse instruction and academic intervention.
Position Summary: The Executive Director will be responsible for planning, prioritizing, organizing, and directing all programs and activities of the organization. The ED will be required to liaise with school administrators, plan and execute fundraising activities, manage staff, and report regularly to the Board of Directors.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The ED will serve as the chief executive of this non-profit, with responsibility and authority for the effective day-to-day management and execution of the strategic growth plan in accordance with policies formulated jointly with the Board of Directors
- Refine existing organizational structures, policies, communication systems, financial management and budgetary control, and record-keeping systems in order to implement the strategic growth plan within budget/time/resource constraints
- Lead development of fundraising efforts, including but not limited to: individual donor and corporate sponsorship, application to grant programs, and cultivation of potential and ongoing supporters
- Formulate and ensure appropriate communication strategies and messages, write newsletter articles, email communications, social media, and press releases as necessary, speak publicly at a variety of meetings and events, etc.
- Keep the Board of Directors fully informed, serves as an advisor, and contributes to its effectiveness in its policy-making, budgeting, and fundraising roles
- Develop and nourish strategic partnerships with other organizations
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least five years as a director or other senior management position at a similar non-profit, with proven leadership, managerial, marketing, writing, financial management, and fund-raising skills
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work with and instruct groups with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing to communicate with staff, visitors, volunteers, donors; to read and understand legal documents and policies; to write policies, procedures, and grants. Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required
- Must possess the financial acumen necessary to oversee the tracking of actual income and expenses as well as to prepare budget projections
- Understanding of the sport of lacrosse; Prior coaching experience a plus but not required
- Must be willing to work directly with children
- Will spend considerable time in schools in Harlem
- Weekend work occasionally necessary
- Though we operate year-round, the work load will lighten during summer months while schools are not in session
REPORTING AND SUPERVISORY RELATIONSHIPS
- Report to the Board of Directors
- Oversee 5-10 paid staffers and 10+ volunteers
- Work with staff to effectively incorporate the efforts of temporary interns and volunteers (typically university or graduate-level students). Actively contribute to professional development of staff and conduct periodic performance evaluations
- Flexible schedule
- Compensation will range between $65,000 and $85,000 per year, depending on the Executive Director’s experience level
Resumes will be accepted through April 15, 2013. All resumes must be accompanied with a cover letter and list of three professional references. Submitting an additional writing sample (press release, letter to donors, sample pages from a grant, etc.) will be looked upon favorably but is not required.
Email the application materials to email@example.com.
More information can be found at www.harlemlacrosse.org